Please look at the “Is your dog vomiting and/or having diarrhea?” handout first so you know what to look for and if your dog should be seen by a veterinarian ASAP. In any case, be sure to call your vet at the first opportunity and follow their advice!
Major tips for dogs who can benefit from this bland diet
Give their digestive system a rest by not feeding anything for 24 hours (6 hours for pups <4 months). On the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th day, feed only the bland diet at he amounts listed below. On day 5, 6, and 7 add an equal amount of your dog’s regular food to the listed amount of bland diet. On day 8 feed regular food.
If your dog is not improving within 2-3 days, gets worse over the next 24 hours, or gets back to normal but the problem recurs after he/she is back on regular food, call your veterinarian for an appointment. Bring a stool sample with you – use a plastic spoon and scoop some up, then put spoon and stool in a ziplock bag.
This is not a balanced or complete diet. It should not be fed for more than a week or two at a time.
Recipe for Canine Bland Diet (makes about 5 cups – recipe can be doubled for large dogs)
- 1 cup raw white long-grain rice (not brown or minute rice)
- ½ pound hamburger or ground chicken or ground turkey OR 1 cup 2% or less-fat cottage cheese
- 6 cups water
- Boil rice, meat, and water. Turn to low and cover. Simmer 25 minutes, turn off and let sit for 20 to 30 minutes (it should be mushy). If you use cottage cheese, add it at the end of the process. Keep refrigerated.
Directions for Feeding Canine Bland Diet (this is less food than usual for most dogs)
- Dogs under 5# should get one heaping teaspoonful, 2 times per day
- Dogs 5-10# should get one level tablespoonful, 2 times per day
- Dogs 10-15# should get one heaping tablespoonful, 2 times per day
- Dogs 15-25# should get a level 1/2 cup, 2 times per day
- Dogs 25-40# should get a level 2/3 cup, 2 times per day
- Dogs 40-60# should get 3/4 cup, 2 times per day
- Dogs 60-90# should get one cup, 2 times per day
- Dogs over 90# should get 1 and 1/2 cups, 2 times per day